Mates- Spaghetti in Coconut


Dearly Beloved,
How has January been treating you the past couple of weeks? Oh, you want to know about my January? Well, let me give you the run down then. I am learning karate now for the purposes of having myself covered on these Nairobi streets. Exams are in the next few days so we all know that is a mess. The heat came back. Nairobi Restaurant Week is officially ON! My cats are having the time of their feline lives. The latter is what today’s rambling is all about. It is cat mating season where I live and boy!
Quiet Sunday evening. I am seated with a cup of hot lemon tea because, well, middle class and all. It’s all quiet and peaceful as I scroll through Instagram in true millennial fashion; pinkie finger under the phone, using my thumb to scroll. The peace and tranquility that only loans can accord you. Car loans, mortgages you name it, loans that we work our entire lives trying to repay. In the distance, which really isn’t much of a distance, I hear strange noises. Almost like muffled gags. Almost. I lock my phone screen and put my cup down so that I can hear better. Wait, are those children crying? Why are children crying? None of my business, so I sit back down and resume. That was until I started hearing loud footsteps outside. This is starting to feel like a scene in a movie where the snitch ends up being lynched by the entire community. Just to make it clear though, I am not one of those. Snitches, that is. So what does a regular person do in such circumstances? Go out to investigate. Am I a normal person? No. Did I go out? I DO NOT WANT TO BE LYNCHED! So I left it to Jesus.
Monday. Typical Monday. Nothing but bitterness for this part of the week. That’s until I saw Puss. For you who has not been here long enough to know my beings, Puss is Patricia’s twin sister. Patricia and I had a little chat one Saturday, see post here:http://creative254.blogspot.co.ke/2017/11/cat-chats-and-pineapple-cobbler.html . Puss has a long, slender form an exact opposite of Patricia’s short, stocky form. Puss has a wild side, a dangerous menace that appears to always be lurking at the edge of the outline of her silhouette. She holds her head high as she walks. Her meowing isn’t loud. It’s audible, stately. She jumps through windows effortlessly, she pauses to lick herself when she can (mid-air). She knows she’s got it. She can’t help but flaunt it. I mean, wouldn’t we all?
Puss had lain on her side, her head lifted at an angle and her eyes shut just enough to see me watch her. She had company. Male company.
Now I am not one to judge people’s or cats’ preferences in partners, but my goodness, you will have to excuse me on this one. The male, let’s call him Sebastian, Seb for short, is a bit on the unattractive side. He has a chronic cough, one of those deep guttural ones that leave you looking for codeine. His eyes are droopy. I believe he has failing eyesight. He has terrible fur. The kind of fur you would not want near your asthmatic children. He is OLD. Theirs doesn’t look like a sponsor- university girl setting. No sir.
The problem isn’t even with Seb, well actually, it is, but one of the biggest qualms is how Patricia has to be caught up in this mess. Patricia, short and loud, is third wheeling here. This is coming from a man who prides himself as being a professional third wheel. Now, a word from our sponsors:
 Are you going out on a date? Do you need someone in whose face you can rub your relationship? Look no further, Mwaniki’s Wheels is a premium service provider dealing in Third wheeling and Couple Photography services. When you go out on a date and you need someone to take that perfect shot of you two feeding each other, Mwaniki’s Wheels has got you covered. When you need to tell someone about all the silly, annoying things your significant other does but you still love them, in the presence of your significant other, Mwaniki’s Wheels has got you covered. Send us an email today to book your slot. Mwaniki’s Wheels, because, what’s life without an extra wheel?
So poor Patricia has to deal with these two annoying individuals getting active right in her face. Literally, right there, in front of her. Patricia and I have had to deal with this barbaric tendencies for the past week. I do hope it will end. In the meantime, we are listening to Davido shout at us about FIA FIA and such. Your January thus far?

There’s something about spaghetti that leaves me singing Amazing Grace in Chinese. So I decided, why don’t I get a whole concert set up? Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, people of all ages, performing his hit Chinese song, Amazing Grace… no, no that’s over, that’s cancelled. Here’s the recipe guys: COCONUT SPAGHETTI

Ingredients
Spaghetti (as much as you want)
1 egg (hard boiled, 15 minutes)
1 cup desiccated coconut
Chili powder, ginger powder, paprika, mixed spices
Potatoes (peeled and washed)
3 bulb onions
Fresh spring onions.

Method
Bring water in a pot to boil, half the spaghetti stalks and boil for 7 minutes. Here I mean half as in the verb. I am halving the oranges, that kind of thing.
Put the coconut in a bowl and add hot water. Let this sit for 10 minutes.
Once the spaghetti is done, drain it of the water and in the same pot with the drained spaghetti, pour in the coconut water. Cover for 7-10 minutes. On a pan, put in the chopped onion bulb and fry. Once golden brown, put in the spaghetti and the coconut water and fry. Add in the paprika and the mixed spices. Stir continuously to avoid burning. 3-5 minutes is enough time.

Fry the potatoes until just about well done. Not crispy or soggy. Drain them on serviettes.
For the sauce I used leftover liver. Add a bit of the chopped onion bulbs, garlic and the chili powder. Bring to a boil on low-medium heat. Taste and add seasoning as desired.

Try the recipe and send us pics.
Thank you for reading, share widely. Take a look at my previous posts and stalk my social media. See you soon.

Asante sana and Kwaheri.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zuma and The Telephone

French Toast, Nairobi Daylight and Robbers

Mariah, Curry and Rice