Of Rabbits,Easter and coconuts

Easter,easter,easter
Is it just me or is anyone else a little freaked out by how early the Easter bunny decided to hop around this year?
*PS: that Easter bunny thing, not my thing.
Here is what I tend to find a bit off with this belief in a hypothetical,wait,IMAGINARY animal that is supposed to be the bearer of all things Eastery. I did not know of anything to do with rabbits on an April holiday(Well,normally April. 2016 is shaping to look like those kids in school who always thought they were cooler than everyone else and would decide to always do things way ahead of time like going sneaking into the dorm rooms ten minutes before bedtime so that everyone will look at them awestruck by how bold and daring they are. I mean,if at all you are such a bad ass why sneak in only ten minutes before time?Why not do an hour or two before time? Heck do not even attend the two and a half hour long evening preps. Such bull/s. #BOARDINGSCHOOLDRAMA)
Anyway, before I kill the Easter bunny story, where was I, ah,yes, I did not know that rabbits were the animals given the responsibility of making sure the holiday never flops.Well this is all the work of a movie I watched back in the day before my voice broke and my face turned into a sort of join-the-dots puzzle (read acne).So in the movie, there were two children.One,a girl with flaming hair( I had to put that in there.Flaming hair sounds so mystical right?) Well hold on to the soles of your feet as I tell you that it meant she had red hair.Like the weaves our ladies in this here Nairobi streets wear. So if you are ever in the street and see a lady with a red weave just be like, " Excuse me, I love your FLAMING hair."
Just a thought.
Back to the movie, so apart from this girl who's hair was hypothetically on fire, there was her brother who was just annoying in someway,I guess.What really drew my suspicions to the Easter bunny was how he turned the burning-hair-girl's aunt into a fairy just so that the once-woman-now-fairy could be the fairy god-parent to a child without a fairy god-parent (confusing I know,but bear with me).Now does that sound like the Easter spirit to you? Of course not, the Easter spirit is about togetherness and family and joy and laughter and if you are religious, remembering the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.But this movie,decided no, we are going to throw in mythical creatures and the turning of humans into finger-sized winged-beings who are believed to possess a special magical-power-thing.Anyway, its a bit hard to dig deep into the details of the story since its long since I last watched that thing.
Oh, I recently realised there is this holiday in the Hindu religious calendar, the Holi Festival.Big shoutout going to the people over at GOOGLE and SNAPCHAT for letting us know that yes, there is a Festival known as Holi. By 'us' I mean me since I have no Hindu friends or acquaintances or even social media friends ( I'll have to cross-check the social media part.And no, its not going to be hard since, unlike normal people who have thousands on thousands of friends and followers and loops and God knows what else, I only have a handful of virtual/online/internet-accessible friends)so you see, I had no idea that such a festival existed. If I did, trust me, I would have been covered in colour from head to toe sashaying along the city's streets seeking unwarranted attention like the psychotic pig I am. Also,I learnt about the Jewish Festival; Purim.I'll be honest with you I wasn't really interested in that so I sort of left it there.I assure you its nothing against the festival,its just that I am a big five year old at heart (don't let the mature act fool you). I just want to run around and dust myself with coloured powder,eat ,sleep for eight hours and not have to take a bath so that all the colours stick to everything I touch.Sort of like a milder version of the Midas' Touch. Look it up. So you see, there is a lot of celebrating going around in the world.Don't just sit there and feel bad for yourself or feel miserable for yourself. Find a party and gate crash. Eat all their food and if you are of legal age, drink all their liquor.If you aren't of legal age then just do what I do, imagine that everyone drinking is a bar of chocolate (pun intended) that can only be eaten when intoxicated and you are that kid who loves chocolate though your aunt Betty told you that chocolate is bad for your teeth and blood pressure but you don't really fuck with her so you give her the virtual middle-finger by ignoring her and you take the chocolate anyway. (I said virtual middle-finger because where I come from, showing the middle-finger is a sure way to a thorough whooping.) So,you are the chocolate loving kid and the drunk adults are the chocolate so you go eat them. If you want money for a new phone or a new tablet or I don't know, a new life, get a drunk adult's credit card and swipe away to a better tomorrow.That is how you eat the chocolate during Easter. If gate-crashing is not your thing then have your own party and invite the people you want.(Or you can always invite no one at all so that you can eat all the food and you want have to share.) An easy way you can do this is by taking inspiration from my solo breakfast party I had recently.
So, I took some ideas from the jollof rice article from a few weeks back. I fried potato slices and cooked them in tomato stew.On top, I sprinkled coconut shavings to add that taste and aesthetic smell.The coconut shavings soak up the oil on the potatoes.For my eggs,I fried them and added a little bit of black pepper.When plating, I added tomato slices and threw on carrot shavings for the visual aspect of the food,remember colour co-ordinating?My morning fruit was a banana but I really love fun food and this one was just begging for a little 'funning'(is that even a word though?) So what I did was, I sliced the banana into two halves and on the black part I threw a lump of chocolate cream.I really can't throw away the black part of the banana.When I was younger, my aunt told me that, that was the best part of the banana and trust you me, I have never stopped believing that.On the chocolate I threw colourful sprinkles and finally drizzled the all time favourite:CHOCOLATE SYRUP. By now I think you know I am a big chocolate fan right? Of course you need caffeine in the morning, black coffee always does things to me I must admit, so I just couldn't resist. There you go, a solo party in the morning. Actually don't enjoy this alone, get your family and /or friends together and whip this up together, with the speakers blaring positive vibes only.There you go, Easter inspo. for you. Remember to smile a lot you never know who's day you might just be brightening.For the recipe on the tomato-stew refer to the post on 31st January 2016 it has the details and the prep.time as well.

The fried potato slices cooked in tomato stew and glazed with coconut shavings







.
Prep time from start to plating: 45 minutes.( Its worthwhile considering you are in that Easter mood and working together might actually reduce this time by almost half.)
Thanks for reading,Blessed Easter, or better yet,whatever holiday you are celebrating, have a great time.
LIKE, COMMENT AND SHARE PLEASE.
Ciao!                                 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zuma and The Telephone

French Toast, Nairobi Daylight and Robbers

Mariah, Curry and Rice